MOTOCROSSTIME - NEWS FROM SUZUKI CYCLES
Completely redesigned for 2018, the RM-Z450 wraps a sleek, race-ready appearance around a stronger engine and a nimble chassis that continues the Suzuki tradition of extraordinarily precise handling. Developed using Suzuki’s RUN, TURN and STOP philosophy that creates a Winning Balance, the 2018 RM-Z450 has stronger brakes for better stopping power, a wider spread of engine muscle with higher peak power, and a chassis that is stronger, lighter and more nimble to raise the standard for cornering performance.
[toggle title=”Increased Engine Performance” state=”close”]Improved Throttle Response with Higher Peak Power – Evolved Traction Management System Helps the Bike Hook Up – Updated Suzuki Holeshot Assist Control (S-HAC) Gets You Out Front[/toggle]
[toggle title=”Advanced Cornering Performance” state=”close”]
- New Frame and Swingarm are Lighter with Excellent Strength
Refined Chassis Dimensions Blend Nimble Handling with Stability
Improved Coil-spring Fork Provides Great Performance and Easy Tuning
New Showa BFRC Rear Shock Delivers Remarkable Damping Response
Bridgestone X30 Tires bring Outstanding Grip
[toggle title=”Improved Braking Performance” state=”close”]
- Larger Front Brake Increases Stopping Power and Feel
- New, Compact Rear Master Cylinder is out of the Way of Mud and Boots
[toggle title=”Functional StylingFunctional Styling” state=”close”]
- Aggressive New Styling Blends Function with Suzuki Character
Narrow Cockpit Lets Rider Move with Ease for Maximum Racing Performance
- New 449cc liquid-cooled 4-stroke, 4-valve DOHC engine is the latest incarnation of Suzuki’s proven and reliable, fuel-injected powerplant
- The engine has higher peak horsepower with more torque at lower engine speeds for improved throttle response through the entire rev-range
- The cylinder head intake port shape is changed to tumble flow the fuel/air mixture by 25% to help increase power output
- A 30% larger air cleaner opening is combined with a more direct air cleaner outlet tube path to the throttle body to increase air flow
- Advanced fuel-injection system makes for extra-smooth power delivery, high fuel efficiency, and superb reliability
- The RM-Z450 has a new, Suzuki-unique throttle body design with a relocated fuel injector fed by a new, higher-pressure fuel pump directly sprays fuel at the butterfly valve to improve atomization of the fuel/air charge
- The new throttle body design eliminates complex control linkage so the rider feels a more direct connection to the engine
- The intake camshaft profile is changed, including more valve lift that the prior model, increasing power at all engine speeds
- The compact aluminum cylinder is finished with Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material (SCEM) coating for durability, light weight and efficient heat transfer
- The piston’s casting is ungraded to include strengthening ribs near the wrist pin bosses to match component reliability to the higher horsepower
- Engine starting is simple and efficient due to a long kick starter lever, refined internal gears, larger air cleaner and breather system, plus an automatic decompression system that works precisely and efficiently (eliminating the need for a heavy and costly electric start system)
- The high-flow exhaust system complies with AMA sound regulations
- New engine protectors help guard the coolant pump (on the right) and the stator cover (on the left) from debris and stones
[toggle title=”ADVANCED ELECTRONICS” state=”close”]
The 2018 RM-Z450 features an evolved and faster traction management system. The Electronic Control Module (ECM) continually measures throttle opening, engine speed and gear position and then adjusts the ignition timing and fuel injector duration to fine-tune the engine output to deliver the best traction for the riding conditions.
The RM-Z450’s traction management system is different from a street-bike traction control system as it does not measure rear tire spin. Because the needs of a motocrosser are different than a street bike, this system offers constant adjustment that maximizes traction at all times
|The Suzuki Holeshot Assist Control (S-HAC) is a selectable launch system derived from the factory race bike to help riders’ takeoff from the starting gate for an early lead. There are three modes riders can choose for the best option per their skill level and starting conditions. There are three stages to A – Mode and B – Mode of the S-HAC system. This helps riders at the moment of launch, when crossing the gate, and through acceleration to the full-speed. The S-HAC settings for A – Mode on the 2018 RM-Z450 are updated to aid the rider’s throttle control during launches.
A – Mode: For hard surfaces or slippery conditions at the starting gate.In this mode, S-HAC alters ignition timing at the moment of launch and the ride over the gate to reduce wheel slip to deliver a smooth take off. It also advances ignition timing during this sequence for stronger acceleration. After 1.2 seconds or when you reach third gear, the system shuts off and returns to normal ignition timing.
– Benefit of A – Mode: For novice riders, and/or hard and slippery traction conditions, use A – Mode for a more controlled launch.
B – Mode: When conditions at the starting gate have better traction, and a more aggressive launch is desired. S-HAC will advance the ignition timing to allow increased throttle response and stronger acceleration off the line. The ignition timing alternation is in a similar sequence as A – Mode, but with increased overall timing. One of three conditions will return the ignition to normal operation (whichever happens first): After 4.5 seconds has passed since throttle opening, or when you shift to 4th gear, or when the throttle is closed.
– Benefit of B – Mode: For skilled riders, and/or good starting conditions, use B – Mode for a more aggressive launch.
Base Mode: Standard power launch, no action required on the S-HAC switch. Designed for motocross-use, the lightweight, battery-less, electronic fuel injection system is key to the engine delivering efficient power.
Easy-to-use Fuel Couplers are included to simplify EFI tuning.
– For quick fuel adjustments to suit riding conditions, two couplers are provided. One is for rich and another for lean fuel setting compared to stock setting. Riders can change fuel settings in seconds by simply connecting either coupler to the wire harness.
|Engine||449cc, 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, single cylinder, DOHC|
|Bore Stroke||96.0 x 62.1 mm (3.78 x 2.4 in)|
|Fuel System||Fuel Injection, 44 mm throttle body|
|Starter||Primary kick-start with automatic decompressor|
|Transmission||5-speed constant mesh|
|Final Drive||Chain, DID 520DMA2K, 114 links|
|Suspension Front||Inverted telescopic, coil spring, oil damped, adjustable damping force|
|Suspension Rear||BFRC – link type, coil spring, oil damped, adjustable spring preload & damping force|
|Brakes Front||Disc brake, single rotor|
|Brakes Rear||Disc brake, single rotor|
|Tires Front||80/100-21 M/C 51M, tube typetype|
|Tires Rear||110/90-18 M/C 62M, tube type|
|Fuel Tank Capacity||6.3 L (1.6 US gallons)|
|Color||Championship Yellow with black/blue accents|
|Ignition||Electronic Ignition (CDI)|
|Spark Plug||NGK DIMR8C10|
|Overall Length||2175 mm (85.6 in.)|
|Overall Width||835 mm (32.9 in.)|
|Overall Height||1260 mm (49.6 in.)|
|Wheelbase||1480 mm (58.3 in.)|
|Ground Clearance||330 mm (13.0 in.)|
|Seat Height||960 mm (37.8 in.)|
|Curb Weight||112 kg (247 lbs.)|